Caring For The Carpet In Your Sugar Land Home Part 3: Removing Stains The Right Way
If cared for properly, carpet flooring can be enjoyed in your Sugar Land home for many years before needing to be replaced. One of the most common reasons people decide to replace carpet is the stains that have accumulated over time and weren't properly treated and removed. The good news is many carpets now come with a greater amount of stain resistance than in previous years and there are products that can be applied to your carpet to help with the damage of stains to your carpet. However, the best way to avoid damage your carpet when something spills or stains it is to follow these steps.
Carpet Stain Removal Guide For Your Sugar Land Home
- Start treating your carpet as soon as you notice a spill or stain. If what has been spilled on the carpet has any sort of coloring to it, it's even more so imperative to act quickly. The longer the stain remains on the carpet, the more difficult it will be to remove.
- Scrape the food or liquid spill with a smooth hard object to remove as much excess as possible.
- Be sure to work from the outer edge of the affected area towards the middle so that you don't cause unnecessary spreading of the affected area. A spill or stained area is bad enough and you wouldn't want that area to grow, making your job of treating the affected carpeted area more difficult. Take care not to scrub and rub the affected area, is this may cause the carpet to fuzz.
- Next, use a diluted clear detergent soap (darker detergents can leave a sticky residue). It's best to use about one-fourth of a teaspoon of detergent for every 32 ounces of water. Use the detergent followed by clear water rinsing until the stain is gone. Then blot dry as much as possible.
- You can use any sort of cloth or sturdy paper towel for the cleanup.
No one enjoys the frustration of spilling something on their carpet flooring, and certainly not the time it takes to clean it up. The good news is that many stains can be removed if done properly, and your carpet can endure the test of time and use. One thing to keep in mind is that when it does come time to replace your carpet, it's best to consult a Sugar Land carpet flooring expert to select the best kind of carpet and color for your family's needs and anticipated use. Every personâ€™s situation can be different, as the number of kids, pets, gas and other types of use will determine the type of carpet needed to maximize longevity and the carpetâ€™s aesthetic preservation.